Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

I usually don’t set out to make New Year’s resolutions.  I figure that if I need to start something that is good for me, then why wait until January 1st?  Do it now. 
However, this year, I am sort of making a resolution: I am going to read the whole Bible in one year.
I am ashamed to admit, I’ve never read the Bible through in one year.  I’ve known many who have done it, and thought, “I could do that.”  But after a couple of weeks, I give up.  I even have a special 365 Day Bible that my dad gave to me before my freshman year in college.  
This year, I am going to do it.  I’m posting this here today, on January 1, 2014, as my accountability. When I publicly say I’m going to do something, I’m more apt to carry it through to the end.  

4 comments:

  1. I've done it once (I had attempted it at least a couple times before that) about 6 or 7 years ago with a friend. We used a schedule that jumped around a bit, so I didn't read it from front to back, but it was very rewarding. Maybe I'll try to do it again someday, but for now I'm content with focusing on shorter passages. :)

    I'll try to remember to ask you about it to help keep you accountable (I don't think I would have finished without my friend's encouragement). :)

    The funny thing about reading the entire Bible in a year, is that later when you come to a passage that feels completely new, you know it's not really new because you've read every single word in the Bible, but it just feels new because the Holy Spirit is revealing a new insight or application.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a more convenient "schedule" ...
    http://www.ewordtoday.com/year/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How's the reading going? I read the New Testament one summer (put myself in charge of the project for our church so I HAD to keep up) - it was amazing...
    Hope its going well - I enjoy checking into to your blog on occasion. It' s always an encouragement.
    Anneke de Jong

    ReplyDelete